Once again I turn to the list with a question about  a dilemma that I think
many of us are running into.
Since the advent of digital cameras more and more of our project images are
being turned in on disk. In the past we have always had black and white
negatives, then color slides (but still usually accompanied by b/w
negatives also). By the way, we have images in our collection from the
1930's that are fine and with proper storage should last for many years to
come.  But now the trend seems to be towards using only digital cameras. We
are requiring good (GOLD) disks but that still does not solve the problem
of hard copy images.And then there is the problem of migrating the data.  I
am afraid that in years to come we are going to have a gap of a number of
years where images for these archeological projects will not be available
as the disks will fail. And I do not think paper copies are an adequate
substitute for negatives. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Audrey M. Trauner
Museum Technician
Southeast Archeological Center
2035 E Paul Dirac Drive