On 7/18/06, LYNNETTE WESTERLUND <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have a question about how to handle a manuscript collection that has the
> social security number of an author on a number of documents.  It is not a
> restricted collection, but we are interested in covering or marking out the
> social security number to protect the author for security reasons....  What do you think is the least problematic method, from a
> preservation prespective, to deal with this?

depends upon the number of pages associated with each document if a
small amount consider making a photocopy, redact the SSN by using a
black permanent marker. then photocopy the redacted page and insert
with the other photocopies. Allow researchers to use only the
photocopy

if the documents are very large consider imaging the documents convert
to pdf and use a plug-in tool like Appligent's to redact the offending
information

http://www.appligent.com/products/redax/redax.php

allow user to access the pdf files only

--