Hi List – Thanks for all of your help.  To respond to Greg Johnson’s request for similar resources, here is a summary of the responses I received:

Irene Wainwright notified me that New Orleans Public Library has “a good many images of damage on our website:  www.nutrias.orgIn particular, click on "Branches & Bookmobiles" and you will find links to images of N.O. Public Library's damaged branches.”

“If you follow this link you will be able to find the links [Peter K.] posted two weeks ago covering various disasters http://shrinkster.com/gqv “  Also from Peter K.: “check in the listserv archives I posted a link to some info about Tropical Storm Alison that can be found on the Houston Chronicle's website. Also check FEMA's website.”

Christie Peterson recommends “there are links to some really amazing photos of the damage and recovery following the October 2004 flooding at the University of Hawaii library here:  http://www.hawaii.edu/uhlib/flood/  Also, Flikr is down right now, so I can't search it for you, but I'd check for tags like "library" and "disaster" "flooding" "fire" "damage," etc.  Bet you'll find something.”

Lesley Brunet suggests “try googling "Tropical Storm Allison" and library or libraries.  There should be images from UH law library and TMC McGovern Archives flooded.  Try variations.  I know they're out there, but have to admit I can't find them as quickly as I'd like to.  You might want to contact the directors of those libraries/archives for images....  it was a giant mess.”

Kenneth Homsley offered “Check out the University of Hawaii.  They had alot of damage in 2004, and have some great images at:  http://libweb.hawaii.edu/uhmlib/news/flood-articles.html

I myself found some good images in a slide show created by Gary Frost for Hurricane Katrina recovery, put up on the University of Iowa Libraries Preservation Department http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/pages/Power%20Point/Hurricane%20in%20Mississippi2.ppt  The general site also has some other interesting articles and resources:  http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/Recovery.html

Thanks to everyone for their help…  My students will see images of mold and mud a-plenty!

Best,

Amy

Amy Cooper Cary

Archival Studies Program Coordinator