Just back from my trip to Austin, and wanted to say a public thank you
to several Austin, Texas, archivists, who allowed me to tour their
facilities and ask questions and take them away from their very busy
schedules.  I was able to visit the Austin History Center, the LBJ
Presidential Library, the Center for American History at UT, and the
Harry Ransom Center for the Humanities, and want to thank Susan Soy, E.
Phillip Scott, Linda Peterson and her staff, and Mary Alice Harper for
their kindness and patience.  Through confusion that was entirely my
own, I ended up just dropping in on some of them and while they could
have said they were too busy--as indeed they were!--they took time for
shop talk and to compare notes.  They really have some Texas-sized
collections there and I'm amazed at what they've done with them.

It was only my second time in Austin, and I can highly recommend the
Austin Motel for a base; just a few minutes from downtown on South
Congress Street, very comfortable-funky ("So close, yet so far out!")
and with a great swimming pool, and affordable ; Gueros for dinner, Las
Manitas for lunch, Ruby's for BBQ, Congress St. for cheesy Texas
souvenirs (bobble-head armadillos et al).  I know a lot of AMIA-ers were
just there but I didn't get to go to that, so this was a nice chance to
see the city.  I spoke at the Alamo Theater downtown, also a very
interesting place and a good venue for all sorts of film events.  I even
got to go to a couple of clubs where there was real nightlife with real
adults!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone in Austin for showing me around, and
I'll look forward to returning the favor some day.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library