Well, there is not one single translation to this, but literally,
taking the inflections into account, it means "By God and By The
Sword", could also mean "To God and By the Sword", etc. I think that
the most likely interpretations would be either like "With God (on
our side), and By The Sword" or "To (the greater glory of) God and By
The Sword".

Bart
(studied oodles of Latin, Greek, Assyrian and Babylonian in a too
long-ago student life;-)

Yes, but there's something else in there due to the cases.  The nouns
without inflection are "Deus" and "Gladius."  "Deo" and "Gladio" are
inflected nouns that imply what we call prepositions.  See
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28A%E2%80%93E%29>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28A%E2%80%93E%29
 and scroll down to phrases beginning with "Deo" to see some
examples.  Your phrase should translate as something like "To" or
"With" "God and the Sword."

(my own ignorance only, as usual)
Arel Lucas, C.A.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University