In a message dated 7/26/2006 3:01:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask] _ (mailto:[log in to unmask] (Jessica)
(Jessica Tanny)) writes:

In 2002  there was an interesting conversation on the archives listserv
regarding  archiving websites. At that time someone mentioned using Adobe
Acrobat as a  way to capture a website (Mount Holyoke has a "how  to"
guide
online:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/csit/documentation/archiving/archiving_web
sit
es.htm).

I believe the current address is
_http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/ris/documentation/archiving/archiving_websites.htm_
(http://www.mtholyoke.edu/lits/ris/documentation/archiving/archiving_websites.htm)

I back up my own Website _www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com)  by
regularly  creating and naming a blank file using the date in the file name,
e.g.,  <bu-mbd060725> in a backup directory on my C-Drive, then publishing  my
live Website to that directory/file using MS FrontPage, which is fine for my
purposes. I keep it there and also simply copy that file to a DVD in case --
I  should say for when -- my PC hard drive dies someday when I least expect
it. It  is then possible at any time to open that file in FrontPage and
republish  it as a whole or examine/edit any page/sub-page within the Website. I don't
 do that, because I use such backups for archival snapshots of my Website
reflecting major changes in content or design. But it would be possible to do
so, something that anyone concerned about maintaining the integrity of archival
 versions of a Website would want seriously to consider.

For institutional purposes, I would recommend an open source product such  as
Heretrix _http://archive-crawler.sourceforge.net/_
(http://archive-crawler.sourceforge.net/)  used  by the Internet Archive, rather than a proprietary
software product such as  FrontPage, Acrobat, etc. Alternatively, a good
enterprise content management  (ECM) system that is 5015 certified would also work and
provide at least the  minimum recordkeeping functionality, if not more.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Barry
_www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com/)