Can anyone offer advice on how to safely store materials in an antique wooden flat file? The cabinet is finished on the outside. The interior of the drawers (about  23" x 51") is unfinished. We are planning to use it to store photographic prints, posters, small maps, and possibly negatives or slides.

Can we use this cabinet without endangering our materials?  We are hoping that by enclosing them properly or by treating the interior of the drawers this might be possible.

Susan Rishworth, MLS, MA
Archivist
American College of Surgeons
633 N. St. Clair St.