Nice note, Cheryl, thanks for sharing these good tips with the List!

I think the "stand right, walk left" etiquette applies in many cities, I remember seeing signs in London's subway advising people of this practice.  If someone is standing on the left side, unwittingly, I usually say politely, "passing left, please," and get by that way.  Here's the link to Washington Metro's "riding smart" page, which mentions escalator etiquette.  The URL mentions "busrules" but also covers some Metrorail stuff.
http://www.wmata.com/metrobus/busrules.cfm .  Metrorail's home page is http://www.wmata.com .

I look forward to seeing some of you next week!

Take care, all and have a good weekend,

Maarja

>>> Cheryl StadelBevans <[log in to unmask]> 7/28/2006 1:24 PM >>>
As a follow up to Lucy's message, I'd like to offer a couple of other pointers for getting around on the Metro.

Especially during the day and crucially during rush hour, the local practice is to walk on the left and stand on the right when you're using the escalators. If you're travelling with anyone else, particularly a group, please stand one behind the other rather than side-by-side so that you're not blocking the "walking" lane. If you're travelling with a suitcase, please also hold it in front of or behind you when on the escalators.

I don't remember if Rachel mentioned this, but if you'd prefer to walk down the hill instead of up, you may take the Metro to the Woodley Park/Zoo stop and walk down to the hotel. It's a little further in distance, but will probably take you about the same amount of time walking.

Looking forward to seeing many of you next week,
Cheryl
(my own thoughts and views only)

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES