Hi Michael--

It depends on the source documents, their size and density.

In general I would say that if you can get a price break on a dual process,
such as scanning and filming together at a reduced rate, take it, however,
be aware that significant prep work will need to be done first on the
collection to render it acceptable for scanning if preservation film is to
be the final product.

If you have oversized images, require density of 300 dpi or more. Or have
photographs I would film first and then image.  My experience has been that
generally the images produced will need to be redone this way anyway in
order to have the film images acceptable (requires 35 mm. camera, etc.)
Imaging first generally requires commitment to 16 mm. film if one is to take
advantage of an Archivewriter or similar device to derive film from the
images.

It may even be that for some jobs, you will need to image and film
independently without planning to derive the one from the other, but this is
a decision driven by the format, condition and size of the original
documents. Also, if color is a consideration (for example in coding such
things as water pipes under city streets, where the color really matters,
get both a color and a black and white image, and always retain the original
and paper copies reflecting the color as well.

Elizabeth Fairfax, MA,CA
Island County