While we're on the subject of walking...be prepared.   As we were all warned, it is extremely hot here.  The best time for walks is very early morning, i.e. when the sun comes up around 6 AM and when the sun is going down around 7:30 or 8.  Temperatures are expected to be over 100* a couple of days this week.

The walk from the Hilton up Connecticut to the National Zoo is pleasant.  The gates to the zoo are also open very early in the morning, although the buildings are not.