In a message dated 7/31/2006 11:26:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Those tomatoes will taste just fine with some Virginia ham on warm biscuits .
. .
I had planned to put in Grandma's biscuit recipe, and went ot find it.  She
taught me how some forty years ago, but it seems she never wrote down the
recipe, and I won't start writing it down now... though I still make them.

Grandma was eleventh generation Virginian so I expect her corn bread recipe's
been around for a while.  It was written down several generations ago and I
must remind folks that one must allow it to "set" unless you prefer corn bread
borderline spoon bread, as my family does!

First, either fry some bacon or some apples in an iron skillet.  This part
isn't in the directions, but you just have to know to do it.  If frying bacon,
drain off the excess, if frying apples draining isn't necessary.  Keep skillet
warm and turn on the over to a hot oven (about 425 degrees).  No, it's not
time to put the skillet in the oven.

Here beginneth the written receipt as recorded by Frances Greenhow Holladay...

1 1/2 cups corn meal
mix with boiling water (about 2 cups) & boil a few min. to make a rather
stiff mush--add
2 cups butter milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 "             soda
2 eggs  -- mix well & pour into hot iron frying pan which has been seasoned
[you remembered to fry your apples/bacon, right?]  Cook in hot oven until brown
-- about 20 min or less
sometimes it will be done & brown on bottom--turn on "broiler" & brown top--
But _watch_ it!

Serves 6 well

____________________

I'd bring some moonshine to the picnic, but the still in the front hall of
the Amherst County Museum will no longer accommodate.  It is legally available
for purchase at a place in Culpeper County, VA, somewhere...

I've been informed that the still at the Museum was also used for apple
brandy, and Amherst County, VA, is home to the Ralls Genet apple, according to
apple historian Tom Burford.  This is the apple that was crossed with the Red
Delicious to create the ever popular Fuji apple.

So my contribution is corn bread, soem Ralls Genets, and apple brandy...

I think I brought this kind of line-up last year, but since these have been
around for generations, I suppose I can repeat from year to year!

Holly Mills
Amherst County, Virginia