Rome, 2006-08-01

E-LIS, the international archive for Library and Information Science
(LIS) eprints at http://eprints.rclis.org, has reached the milestone
of over 4000 eprints stored. The news was brought by the coordinator
of E-LIS, Imma Subirats Coll.  Speaking from Rome (Italy), Imma
congratulated the international team of 63 national editors from 45
countries who work to fill the archive and maintains its metadata.
"They continue to do a wonderful job." she said.

In Padua (Italy), E-LIS founder Antonella De Robbio added "We are very
grateful to the CILEA consortium for maintaining the server for
us. Their operations have been very reliable. I am sure that their
pioneering work will be acknowledged by LIS history."

Speaking in Novosibirsk (Russia), Thomas Krichel, a volunteer for E-LIS,
noted "There can be no doubt that E-LIS is becoming the subject-based
archive of choice for the LIS community. Our operation is
technically robust, and there is great deal of work going on to cater
for the metadata associated with the papers. But E-LIS can not and
will not rest on its laurels. It is our hope to be working more
closely with the organizers of LIS conferences, such as we have done
with the ASIS&T and Collnet meetings."

In Philadelphia, (USA), the national editor for the USA, Norm
Medeiros, added "Before uploading the papers from last year's American
Society for Information Science and Technology annual meeting, we
solicited permission from each corresponding author.  The response was
overwhelmingly positive.  Most authors gave enthusiastic approval at
the prospect of having their papers on E-LIS. The ASIS&T papers
represent an important and lasting collection that E-LIS is proud to
host."

Speaking in Vancouver (Canada), Heather Morrison, the editor for
Canada and a well-respected open access campaigner, said "This type of
pro-active action sets the E-LIS team apart."

In Mumbai, (India), V. L. Kalyane, the editor for India and member of
the editorial board of the Indian Journal of Information, Library &
Society, simply said "Congradulations".