Dear List,

    This past week I took the certified archivists exam and wanted to share my experience and generate feedback from others, especially from those who took it as well.  My honest opinion was that the exam was not a great tool to assess our professional archival skills, or to put it another way, I thought the exam was awful.  I felt many of the questions were poorly written and poorly worded.  There were other questions that I felt were very obscure and not necessarily something most archivists have to deal with on a daily basis, or ever for that matter.  Some questions asked were of the "what should you do in this situation" type question.  The problem with these type of questions is that they do not account for other factors.  While the literature says, or suggests what should be done, this can only be applied under exact or similar situations provided in the literature.  Other circumstances sometimes dictate that an archivist needs to make a different decision.  Therefore, a question like this does not have a right or wrong answer unless the exact details of the situation are known.  Also, there were some questions that I felt were really irrelevant in determining whether or not we are capable archivists.
    Now, again, this is just my opinion.  Maybe some felt it was a good exam.  However, I am not one of them and I have the feeling there were other individuals who took the exam who were not happy with it either.  While I understand that all the questions are taken from the literature, this does not mean these answers are best, or even the correct.  The literature is written by human beings and no human is perfect.  In fact, I am the first to say I have many flaws and far from being perfect.  It also needs to be considered that the literature reflects the opinions and beliefs of that given author, which is most likely formed due to their experience.  However, another person may have a different answer opinion based on their experience, which may have differed from the other individual.  Nevertheless, I felt that asking questions that came only from literature is an inaccurate way to measure the capabilities, experience, and knowledge of an archivist.  Memorizing facts is a true way to assess someone's merit as an archivist.  What would be an accurate method for this?  I am not sure there is a method that is 100% accurate.  However, adding a component to the exam, like an essay/short answer type question, that allows for subjectivity and flexibility for questions where other circumstances can dictate how and why an archivist comes to the decision that he/she makes should perhaps be added to the exam (or at least considered).
    Again though, this is just my personal opinion.  Feel free to disagree if you do not share this same opinion.  The purpose of this message is just to generate a friendly discussion about the exam and to see if other individuals felt similar about the exam as I do, or if I am the only one who had difficulty with it.  I look forward to reading the responses to this message.