Hi folks, and welcome back from SAA.

We're thinking about getting a wiki* to be created and used by our reference staff so that the staff can share current information and add to the general knowledgebase at the Library.  Has any other shop out there tried this approach, and if so, what software have you decided to use?  I know there is shareware out there as well as subscription software (like jotspot), and I'm wondering what the advantages are of paying for a wiki as opposed to adapting shareware.

Thanks,
Alison

Alison Hinderliter -	[log in to unmask]
Manuscripts and Archives Librarian
The Newberry Library
60 W. Walton St.
Chicago, IL  60610-7324
(312) 255-3694

* (n.) A collaborative Web site comprises the perpetual collective work of many authors. Similar to a blog in structure and logic, a wiki allows anyone to edit, delete or modify content that has been placed on the Web site using a browser interface, including the work of previous authors. In contrast, a blog, typically authored by an individual, does not allow visitors to change the original posted material, only add comments to the original content.
The term wiki refers to either the Web site or the software used to create the site.
Wiki wiki means “quick” in Hawaiian. The first wiki was created by Ward Cunnigham in 1995.

source:  http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/wiki.html