Minor rant:

I *hate* it when web page designers install features that are specific
to one browser (and that browser is always IE).  I refuse to use
Microsoft's buggy, clunky, obsolete browser unless I have to.  When I
come to a page that will only run under IE, my opinion of the
organization that created that page drops several notches:  come on
people, try again, and this time plug in your brains first.  The only
outfit that has ANY reason to make a web page browser-specific is
Microsoft itself, and my opinion of *that* company is already low.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

James Stimpert
Archivist (Arts and Sciences)        E-mail:    [log in to unmask]
MSE Library
Johns Hopkins University             Voice:     (410) 516-8323
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD  21218                  Fax:       (410) 516-7202

>>> "Wood, Thomas J" <[log in to unmask]> 8/14/2006 2:27 PM >>>

I found it ironic that the story "Formatting for the Future"* cited in
the latest RAIN reporting that "Important public documents could be
rendered all but inaccessible when the applications that created them
went out of style" has formatting problems of its own: it won't
display
correctly in Firefox. This HTML document is brand-new and already has
software compatibility problems.

* http://www.govtech.net/magazine/story.php?id=100356

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS BRK 140
Springfield IL 62703-5407
217-206-6520 | [log in to unmask] | <http://www.uis.edu/archives/>

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES