My thanks to all who have responded up to now, on and off List, with good advice about the 8x10 photos for which there are no negatives.  I knew it would be a good idea for me to turn to the List!

Some of you advise having a 4x5 copy negative made, then having prints made from that; others advise scanning at a high resolution, such as 600 dpi, to create a digital image.  I probably should have provided a little more detail.  So, I should add that in this case, the project involves getting high quality copies made * in a quick turnaround *  for hanging photographs in an important  room in our headquarters building.  Of course, I am not going to turn over the only existing originals for hanging.  Hence the need for copies.  At this point, given the deadline involved, speed (completing the project quickly, which means photo reproduction and framing) is the driver more so than re-use or other archival considerations.

Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to consider this issue, you've been great!

Maarja

Maarja Krusten
GAO Historian
Office of Quality and