From: Lolana Thompson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:20 PM
To: Shankle, Betty
Subject: Re: Personal phone #s, emails, addresses....

Betty,
Just my two cents worth, but addresses and phone numbers are usually
easily available through a telephone directory or online. Even FERPA
allows schools to release "directory" type information about students.
Email addresses might be more private, but they often change after a few
years, and you can get some of them from internet searches. If the main
concern is possible identity theft, I think the presence of social
security numbers would be more critical.
Best wishes in making your decision.

Lolana Thompson, C.A.
Archivist
Dallas Theological Seminary
3909 Swiss Ave.
Dallas, TX  75204
214-841-3755
fax: 214-841-3745

>>> "Shankle, Betty" <[log in to unmask]> 8/10/2006 12:52
PM >>>
listed in manuscript collections.  What is the proper procedure for
handling these types of information embedded heavily throughout a
collection?  The bulk of the collection material dates from 1992-2002.
If the collection was 50 years old or older I would not be so concerned
about identity theft.  I have thought of copying each page and blacking
out the incriminating info, but the time and staff hours needed to
perform the labor intensive task are unreasonable.

I would like some ideas as to how best preserve the provenance of the
collection without divulging personal data.

Thank you in advance for your replies.  Off-list replies will be fine.

Betty Shankle

Sr. Librarian/Archivist

Genealogy, History, Archives

Central Public Library