Yes, we who have taken it and the others that follow who will take it
realize there may be problems with the test. We all are aware of  all of
the other arguments that have been expressed on this listserv for years,
and I am not about to re-hash all of the arguments now.  We all know
them.

Reasons for taking the exam are that it shows potential employers that
you are willing to go the extra mile to get certified, and they realize
that it takes a certain amount of effort to maintain certification.
That helps ensure that the certified archivist is working to keep
current in the archival profession.  It also serves as a guide post as
to the  areas you are weak, and in what areas you are strong.

Besides, until something better comes along, it's the only game in town.

Paul A. Oelkrug, C. A.
Senior Curator of Special Collections
McDermott Library
The University of Texas at Dallas
Phone:  (972) 883-2553
Fax:  (972) 883-4590

Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive anyway.
The opinions expressed in this email are mine and not of my employer's