Dear Lists:

I have planned on taking the CA exam and hope that one day I will have
enough professional experience to take the ICRM exam (currently, I only
have 2.5 years qualifying experience). I was curious to know if there has
ever been any discussion about coming up with a dual certification or an
Archives and Records Management Institute type of thing where people could
take an advanced certification in both either via correspondence courses
resembling Open University's method or some variance.

I also balk a bit at the idea of a mutliple choice test, as I am rubbish at
them. But that is a personal test-taking phobia.

Also, if one is intending on pursuing an advanced studies in Archival
Studies or in Records Management, is there there the same pressure to be
certified?

Here in the UK there is a lot of pressure to complete the SOA's registration
scheme. As my career is predominately UK based at the moment, it was not an
easy or light-hearted decision that I made to not join SOA or pursue the
registration scheme, though that does shut me out of many jobs if I decide
to move to local authority (records office)  such as Lancanshire. My
professional interestes are diverse enough that I would love to see a
certification that was a merger of Archives and Records Management.

I am also cc'ing the Records Management listserv in this post because I
would like to hear from that community as well.

Best regards,
Rachel Binnington