From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: Rachel's CA question, nuance, situational ethics, etc.--
LONG!

I do not know much about the CA, but the CRM designation includes
adherence to a Code of Ethics.  It is mostly based on honor, but if
someone believes the Code has been violated by a CRM, it is investigated
by the ICRM.  The Code requires a high degree of professionalism, and
the first two elements (below) seem to apply to the scenario Maarja
outlined.  Very clearly, the Records Manager in the scenario should
question "temporary" retention values of any kind and definitely should
document the logic behind any assigned retention value.

Certified Records Managers should maintain high professional standards
of conduct in the performance of their duties. The Code of Ethics is
provided as a guide to professional conduct.

1.Certified Records Managers have a professional responsibility to
conduct themselves so that their good faith and integrity shall not be
open to question. They will promote the highest possible records
management standards.
2.Certified Records Managers shall conform to existing laws and
regulations covering the creation, maintenance, and disposition of
recorded information, and shall never knowingly be parties to any
illegal or improper activities relative thereto.
3.Certified Records Managers shall be prudent in the use of information
acquired in the course of their duties. They should protect
confidential, proprietary and trade secret information obtained from
others and use it only for the purposes approved by the party from whom
it was obtained or for the benefit of that party, and not for the
personal gain of anyone else.
4.Certified Records Managers shall not accept gifts or gratuities from
clients, business associates, or suppliers as inducements to influence
any procurements or decisions they may make.
5.Certified Records Managers shall use all reasonable care to obtain
factual evidence to support their opinion.
6.Certified Records Managers shall strive for continuing proficiency and
effectiveness in their profession and shall contribute to further
research, development, and education. It is their professional
responsibility to encourage those interested in records management and
offer assistance whenever possible to those who enter the profession and
to those already in the profession.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager