Hello Jessica,

At this museum, an exhibition file is established for each and every
exhibition whether it originates from elsewhere (incoming traveling
exhibition) or onsite.   The file includes such things as label copy,
contracts/lending documents, background research, object lists, floor
plan, docent manual, teaching/visitor guides, publicity and press
releases, object images and installation shots, color palette and font
notations, insurance reports, donors to the exhibition, security
notations, packing and transportation arrangements, return receipts,
exhibition catalogue (if applicable), etc.    This is permanently
retained, although after 10 years the file is placed in offsite archival
storage.   The file is kept within the department that originated the
exhibition, but if there is a centralized registrar's office, all these
files could be placed in one office - separate from object records and
institutional archives, although exhibitions records are utilized for
object research and institutional history research.

Some exhibition information and images are also added to our collection
database management system, but we've found these paper records very
handy, especially when reconstructing the history of a long-lived
institution, researching new exhibitions, or answering inquiries.
Exhibitions photographs document the use of specific objects through
time.  With some materials that are particularly sensitive to
light/heat, it may be the only way to determine if any damage has taken
place.

Acceptable standards of collection management in the modern museum are
very different from 25, 50, or 100 years ago.   I can think of hundreds
of times that I've blessed my predecessors for keeping exhibition
records even though, on the surface, they didn't appear to contribute
much to the knowledge about the objects themselves.

Shirley S. Albright

Assistant Curator, Natural History Collections and Exhibitions,

Collections Database Administrator

New Jersey State Museum

33 W. State St., 3rd floor

PO Box 530