"Truth in whatever: I originally certified by taking the exam and have
recertified twice by petition. "

Me too; I can't remember the date but I know I have to re-up again next
year, in 2007, which I will gladly do, again by petition.  I originally
did it because all the cool kids were getting certified, and I wanted to
go along.  (Yes, I'd jump off a cliff if my friends were doing it.)
Seriously, at the time it seemed a good move and I've never once
regretted it, not even when I sign that $50 check once a year.  Not to
start any flame wars but I think it demonstrates to those not in the
archival field--and that's important to say, "to those not in the
archival field," I'm not going to look down on anyone in the field who
walks the walk, certified or degreed or sanctified or not--that you're
serious about the profession, that you've tried to make an effort to
advance.  One quibble I had the first time I re-upped, I put down that
I'd designed and created a whole new web site for our archival photos,
which was quite the thang at the time, and was only given a couple of
points on the petition; but for warming a chair at an archival
conference I was given many more points.  I think that's since been
corrected.  Even though I make a big deal out of it to my librarian
(MLS) colleagues, it's mostly been useful to me to snap back at snooty
faculty members who have the proverbial "alphabet after their names" but
can't find certain parts of their anatomy with both hands.  And the
petition process has been very useful to make me step back from the
day-to-day and focus on just what I've accomplished or tried to
accomplish in the past five years, sort of like an annual report, only
for five years; a quint-annual report?

Bottom line, I'd recommend it to anyone just coming into the field.
Aside from the bucks, how does it hurt?

Roy Webb, C.A.  (and proud of it!)
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections