CINDEX is one of the more popular programs that would be suitable for creating a newspaper index. See the link on the American Society of Indexers site:
http://www.asindexing.org/site/software.shtml

Also, for anyone undertaking a newspaper indexing project, I recommend an article by Barbara Semonche:
http://parklibrary.jomc.unc.edu/indexing.html

Dolores J. Barber