RIchard Hess linked to a report from this site on July 14th.  I couldn't get that link to work.  But there is an alternate link provided on an associated page.

It looks as if my assumption was correct, the Apollo moon landing tapes were sent to NARA's Federal Records Center in 1970, then called back by NASA some time beween 1975-1979, when NASA pulled back almost all of a large series of records.  The moon tapes should have gone back to the FRC and eventually been accessioned into NARA as "Permanent," but this never happened.

See
http://www.honeysucklecreek.net.nyud.net:8080/Apollo_11/tapes/
for a site which has a flyer, a report, and the actual NARA SF 135 records transmittal form.  The form is at
http://www.honeysucklecreek.net.nyud.net:8080/Apollo_11/tapes/Accession_255-69A4099_med.jpg

The flyer is at
http://www.honeysucklecreek.net.nyud.net:8080/Apollo_11/tapes/Apollo_11_Tape_Search_Flyer.pdf

The full report is at
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/apollo11/The_Apollo11_SSTV_Tapes_Search.pdf
I'm still downloading it now; it's a large file and I only have dial-up.  If I have any further observations, I'll send 'em along.

It would have been much safer for the tapes to have remained at the FRC, you can see they have good item control over such materials when they are held in NARA facilities.

Maarja