Hello List!  As of January 1st the Truman Lounge (which is the only room
in the whole building where people can smoke) will become smoke free
(yippee!) That means all of the objects, walls, carpet, etc. will need
to be cleaned to get rid of the smoke smell and residue from almost 100
years of smoking (luckily, most of the stuff in the room hasn't been
there for 100 years).  It is going to be my job to clean all of the
objects/artifacts housed in that room.  As I'm glancing through
conservation catalogs I'm seeing all kinds of cleaners for this and
that.  I don't want to buy 50 different things to clean a few objects.
Can anyone recommend one or two "all-purpose" cleaners?

Some of the materials include wood, ceramics, rubber, metal, fabric, and
glass.  Thanks!

Christina J. Zamon

Archivist

National Press Club Archives