Oh, how I loathe Plastiklips!  Just ask anyone in my office how I feel.
This is one of my biggest peeves.  Plastiklips may be inert, but they do
just as much damage as a paper clip or any other fastener.  I have never
understood how people will meticulously go through a collection removing
all the nasty fasteners only to put these in their place.  Sure, they
hold the material together, but at what cost?  They still leave an
impression in the paper.  They still tear the paper.  Put more than one
clip in a folder and the clips end up sticking together.

My choice is to fold acid free paper to create a jacket, trim a file
folder, or nothing at all. It might add a little bit of bulk to the
collection, but you don't end up with problems created by the clips.

Stepping down off the box....

Ashley McLendon wrote:
> If you MUST use a fastener, Plastiklips might serve you well as
> they are inert, plastic paperclips.
>
> Ashley McLendon
> Archivist
> Mississippi Armed Forces Museum
>
> */Linda Rothbart <[log in to unmask]>/* wrote:
>
>     Hi...Can anyone recommend a source of archival fasteners to use
>     around loose pages, to replace rubberbands and paper clips?
>     Thanks,  Linda Rothbart
>
>     --
>     Rothbart Information Solutions
>     Reston, VA
>     703-689-4841
>     A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored
>     by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the
>     terms of participation, please refer to
>     http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.
>     To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
>     [log in to unmask] In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES
>     firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send
>     e-mail to [log in to unmask]
>     Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface
>     at http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>     Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

> [log in to unmask] In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES
> firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send e-mail
> to [log in to unmask]

> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
> Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

--
Miriam Meislik
Media Curator

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh
http://images.library.pitt.edu/pghphotos

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright