Hello!

I am a brand-new curator for a county museum, in charge of both object and
archival collections.  I've just received a somewhat large collection from a
donor containing both 3D objects and papers and I have processed the
majority of the collection, barring the documents.

In the past, from what I can see, the people working here have accessioned
every single scrap of paper individually (using a three-number system, so
that collection X might be numbered 06.01.01, 06.01.02, etc) and usually
placed each individual paper in its own archival folder.  While this system
has its points, I find it somewhat inefficient.

I'm using PastPerfect 4.0 to accession.  What I would like to start doing
with this collection is give the papers a single number in the accession
record (like 06.06.45) and then create a separate index/container list to
put physically in the boxes and in that field in PP's archives section.  (If
I have the time I might create a more thorough finding aid; at this point, I
just want to know briefly what we have in this collection.)

Does that make sense?  Am I just creating more headaches for myself and
future curators who work here down the line?  I feel like I'm opening myself
up for all sorts of new problems, but I also really, really dislike the old
system.  I'm one person with a few volunteers; we really don't have time to
go item-by-item.  Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated
(and if this topic has come up before on the listserv, please point me to
the right place; I couldn't find anything when I searched).

Thanks,

Marcella D. Wiget
Curator of Collections
Reno County Museum/Kansas Underground Salt Museum