If you search the listserv archives, there should be other postings on
this same topic. We spend a fair amount of time working on a processing
plan. In it, we document the proposed series arrangement and level of
processing and description, resources needed (staff time and supplies),
existing or possible restrictions, preservation needs, and an estimated
timeline. It forces us to more thoughtfully map out how we are going to
process and describe a collection, and enables us to more successfully
manage multiple (usually about a dozen) ongoing projects. It also serves
as a place for staff from multiple departments to provide input -
typically it is reviewed by the head of Technical Services, the head of
Research Services, and sometimes the collector. If anyone is interested
in this document, please email me and I will send it to you. It's not up
on our public web site yet.

Paula

Paula Jeannet Mangiafico
Collections Processing Section Head
Technical Services
Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library
Duke University
Durham, NC  27708

(919) 660-5915