In a glass-and-wall-enclosed room, accessible to individual enquirers
under controlled conditions, we are looking to install shelves for our
small local book collection, which is principally non-rare, although
some items are housed in acid-free envelopes or boxes due to their
condition.

We are seeking advice on the best type of shelving to purchase for this
area.  Generally, powder-coated, baked enamel metal shelving is advised
in archival surroundings, yet we are also hoping to find furniture
suppliers who can give a wood appearance or something equally
aesthetically pleasing to the finish. The wall space we want to fill
measures 60" wide by 82" high.

I am a former reference, then children's, then academic librarian, and
my background is therefore somewhat other-directed.  I have consulted a
number of well-known library furniture suppliers, and, while they were
helpful, it is clear that I need those who specialize in archival needs.

Thank you for whatever input you might provide.

Daurene Aubrey

Bermuda Government Archives

(441) 295 5151, ext. 1038

(Forgive the errant spelling of my name on the e-mail cover; IT have
promised to address this).