Rust

Rhonda,

In response to your inquiry about removing rust in your microfilm drawers, several questions should be asked first.  The first relates to the cause of the rust. Did the cabinets come from a humid environment or is the microfilm actually Kalvar film?  During the period this vesicular film was on the market, 1967 to 1970, it ate its way through microfilm (cardboard) boxes, metal storage cabinets, and other silver based microfilm. It did this by off-gassing hydrochloric acid (HCl), which ironically did not affect the Kalvar film itself.

Kalvar film can be recognized by its distinctive tints, such as green or beige, instead of the usual grey or blue color. If you have Kalvar film it will either have to be replaced or stored in a place where it cannot harm other films or the metal storage cabinets.

If you determine that the film is not Kalvar, then you could try to remove the rust with steel wool. You would have to obtain the MSDS to determine what chemicals are in the cleaner you are considering and if the off-gassing will have an impact not only on the microfilm, but on other materials in the room where the cabinets are kept. If you want to send me a message to me off-list,  explaining what chemical you are researching, I would be happy to assist you in your research.

Regards,
Lance Watsky
Program Coordinator
UCLA Moving Image Archive Studies