From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Question Re: frappr map

I was debating whether or not to include myself on the Frappr
Archivists page, as my job series is historian but I also serve as a
consultant within my agency on archival matters.  (I'm the only one at
GAO who once worked as an archivist at NARA, blah blah blah.)  And I
noticed at least one person who listed herself as an historian and
archivist (great photo in period costume, BTW.) At any rate, I'm
mulling this over, it would be a stretch if I did it so I might not.
But that's not really my question.  The question is about photos.

I love some of the pix that people posted on the Archivists and on the
Recmgmt Frappr sites.  Some posted nice portraits, others posted some
great pix from their younger days, service in military, having fun on
social occasions, etc.  I love seeing some of the lighthearted stuff.
Interesting to see how people did or did not match up with how I had
pictured them from the way they wrote stuff, LOL.

OK, so my question is . . . .    I'm of the older generation that never
has used Facebook, MySpace, etc.  I'm not used to the idea of posting
pix on the web.   I have a few black and white photos posted in a
memorial album to my sister posted on http://www.classmates.com under
my high school but of course that only is visible to registered users.
But that's it, except for my author photo on HNS.  (Actually, in doing
a Yahoo Image search right now, I was pleasantly surprised to see an
image of a finding aid I worked on as a relatively newbie archivist
around 1978.  This is something I as a NARA employee but while doing a
detail assignment to the Library of Congress Manuscript Division.  LC
was VERY nice to credit my work on what was a NARA cross training
assignment, I had no idea they did that until just now.)

Does anyone see a downside to posting pix on Frappr?  Posting the type
of photos that I've seen on the Archivists and Recmgmt sites seems
pretty "low risk" to me.  (Of course, even on a Listserv, you never
know what someone is going to do with thoughts you put out there, I've
been blindsided a couple of times.  Not in a way that harmed me, but
there were some things that happened that surprised and disappointed
me.)   I tried a Yahoo search and a Google image search to see if the
images you've posted on Frappr come up in a search in either search
engine and they aren't picked up there.  However, Frappr is a site
where anyone can see pix posted there.

Probably just a generational thing but since I'm an old fuddy duddy who
didn't grow up with MySpace or Facebook, I thought I'd throw out the
"risk assessment" question to the List, 'cause you're good at helping
people sort out their thoughts!

Maarja