Yikes, Sharon Pullen's post is a bit draconian, IMHO! It is one thing to
honestly state your opinion, but to accuse recent grads of endangering the
profession because they try to generate a healthy debate about an issue,
like archival certification, about which reasonable people might disagree?
Lighten up! I think having a certification exam that recent graduate program
graduates  don't see the value of having studied for and sat through is *at
least* as dangerous to the profession as airing reasonable negative
commentary on the exam.

Certification works for some and not for others (myself included among the
latter, in the interests of fair disclosure), but it surely won't make one a
better archivist and in my experience has never even remotely been a factor
in  applying for and interviewing for archival positions.

Just my $0.02,

Bill Landis
Metadata Coordinator
(not currently working as an archivist, but using my uncertified archival
knowledge, graduate degree, training, and experience on a daily basis in my job)
California Digital Library
University of California Office of the President
Oakland, CA