On 8/9/06, Kelly B. Farner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My
> suggestion to improve the test would be to allow the test taker a chance
> to explain why he or she answered a certain question the way they did.
> Instead of getting zero points for an incorrect answer the test taker
> may get half the points if his or her answer falls within acceptable
> methods etc.

the problem is that the test is multiple choice. Yes there are
different possible answers to the example you provided. BUT remember
this, someone has to grade the exams. and if you allow for short essay
answers then you have to have a human read and evaluate the exam. Do I
see any volunteers? hands anyone?

The ICRM exams at one time were both short essay and multiple choice.
Several years ago (I disremember when) made the first 45 exams
multiple choice and machine scored. This speeded up the grading
process, eliminated (for the most part) any chance of grader errors
and got the results back to the candidate in a timely so that if they
needed to retake an exam they could submit their application. The ICRM
is slowly moving towards web-based exams. This will be make it easier
for candidates to take the exam, provide faster grading and more.

No exam process is perfect. they are (or should be) evolutionary in
nature. But I was keep in mind a saying that a friend used when we
would evaluate RFPs "Just answer the mail" When reading the question
answer what was asked, don't provide anymore information.  So provide
the most correct answer, don't dither

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va