Alison Hinderliter wrote:

"We're thinking about getting a wiki* to be created and used by our
reference staff so that the staff can share current information and add
to the general knowledgebase at the Library.  Has any other shop out
there tried this approach, and if so, what software have you decided to
use?  I know there is shareware out there as well as subscription
software (like jotspot), and I'm wondering what the advantages are of
paying for a wiki as opposed to adapting shareware."

________

Using wiki technology as a way to share knowledge internally is an
approach that several newspaper and magazine research departments have
already adopted. In fact, a session at the recent annual conference of
the Special Libraries Association's News Division covered this very
topic. I attended this session, and here at the Sporting News, we are
about to begin using wikis in this fashion.

As a first step, I would suggest that you visit the Wikipedia itself.
Its article on wiki technology includes an enormous chart comparing and
contrasting many different varieties of wiki software. I found this
chart very helpful.

Next, you should consult with your own IT people. The fact is that,
irrespective of what software might appeal to you, the package you
choose has to be compatible with your institution's operating system and
with other IT requirements. Better to get IT involved earlier than
later.

Once IT is on board, you can then begin playing with various software
products. Most have demos, and these include a "sandbox" where you can
practice and play without doing damage to anything.

Some may blanche at the very word "wiki," but using wikis in this way
have three distinct advantages: first, they truly encourage cooperation,
the best way to build a knowledge community (unless, of course, you know
it all); second, they require no knowledge of HTML and very little in
the way of coding; and third, they can be created very quickly (wiki,
wiki). I know some news organizations that use many wikis, not just one,
and they are creating them all the time!

Good luck.

Best,

Steve Gietschier

--
Steve Gietschier
Senior Managing Editor, Research

314 485-6387
314 228-1777 FAX

"No matter what happens, someone will take it too seriously."
--- Dave Barry