Hey Amy!

Alright.  I'm going to burrow down into my den and agree to disagree--until some unsuspecting newbie brings this up again in three years.  (I keep trying to get out, but they just keep pulling me back in . . . )

Let me say--just for the record--I've got a beef about the exam, but I do respect those who want to put in the time and effort to conquer it.  I'm a dyed-in-the-wool cynic and can't buy into it--especially since you don't get a free lunch at SAA anymore.

I've had a lot of people contact me off list who are also just not into this because of the principle of the thing.  For all of you cynics I'm posting an invite before next year's meeting and we can all meet up for a drink and revel in our professional rebellion!!

Susan G. Hamson, Ensign, Starfleet Academy
University Archivist | Columbia University Archives
535 West 116th Street, MC 4316 | Low Memorial Library
New York, NY 10027 | Voice: 212.854.1331 | Fax: 212.854.7320

Filiatreau, Amy wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Hi Susan, from a neighbor literally right down the street – we’re at 120th and Riverside probably a half mile or less from you. Feel free to come visit sometime!

I took the test because I like the concept of certification. I like the idea of having standards for professional practice and conduct. I think it’s a great idea.

And I didn’t know how bad the test was until I took it – how could I? How could anyone? They only release something like 6 practice questions (or used to, when I was preparing for it), and there was no way to know what to expect. I studied hard, worked hard, learned a lot, but was disappointed with the test. I am hoping that the certification process is an evolving one that will improve with time.

In the meantime, the designation, as a symbol of my professional status, does help in a number of practical ways (not just to ‘get a job’), and I’m not going to deny that or refuse that just because the test was bad. For me – at least this is how I choose to think about it – the test was just the tiniest piece of my experience, work, reading and studying, all of which led to the designation/certification.

Ok, seriously, I’m done now. J  Take care!

Amy