Aw, man . . . I promised myself I wasn't going to read any posts for the
rest of the week so I could stay away.  One last comment.  Last one!

Actually I was, first, REALLY disturbed that a passing grade was a D+.
I'm sure there are people who do very well, but to reward mediocrity
with this supposedly "validating" certification isn't too impressive.
So if I'm presented with two candidates, everything is equal except one
has a CA and one doesn't, supposedly the CA will help me make a
choice--that's been an argument presented previously.  Geez, maybe I'm
hiring a D+.  So much for the Academy of Certified Archivists seal of
approval.

If the ACA is saying it wants to *promote excellence* throughout the
profession and communicate this to prospective employers /*then demand
it*/ for crying out loud.  At least SATs and GREs go to the school *WITH
*the score.  But I guess it doesn't matter if the D+ is paying up every
year.  $50 from a D+ is printed on the same green paper as an A, after all.

Okay, I'm leaving now.  Apologies to all those who want to unsub after
this long exchange about the CA designation.

Be well everyone!
Susan

Susan G. Hamson, HSD, BA, MA, NCA, Inc.
University Archivist | Columbia University Archives
535 West 116th Street, MC 4316 | Low Memorial Library
New York, NY 10027 | Voice: 212.854.1331 | Fax: 212.854.7320