Message
I stumbling back out of my lair again.  I guess it is the way I read the recertification site:  http://www.certifiedarchivists.org/html/recert.html

The first option they list for recertification is to take the exam again.  The first two reasons to take the exam again is  it's minimal paperwork and minimal time.  The third reason for taking the exam again is because it is  "the most important self-evaluation tool archivists possess. "  This is not my emphasis and I think it can be argued retaking the test is not the most important self-evaluation tool.  Of course it can also be argued that retaking the exam is an important tool for self-evaluation.

In paragraph on recertifying by petition, it is stated "recertification by petition one of the greatest benefits of being a Certified Archivist."  Again not my emphasis.  However what is suggested is that you petition one time, take the exam the other.  It is hoped "all Certified Archivists will choose to recertify by examination once or twice during their careers."  Petitioning is encouraged "at least once during their careers."

When I read this it says to me there is a bias of retesting over petitioning.

Back to the dark now.

Barbara O'Brien
Archivist
McDaniel College