Hi, all -
Just back from vacation, so am a bit late to weigh in on this, but here
goes:

When absolutely necessary, I use coated paper clips to temporarily group
items.
They are metal, so they're malleable and can be configured to not leave
creases, but they have some sort of rubber coating on them, so the papers
are protected from rust (at least, in the short term).  I don't know how
long the coating is meant to last, if it will eventually get brittle and
flake off, but they're the best I've used so far....

Cheers - Jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS-Alaska Technical Data Unit
4200 University Drive
Anchorage AK 99508
907-786-7457
minerals.usgs.gov/west/alaska.shtml

"Honor the Past, Enrich the Present, Protect the Future"

Leon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Archives & Archivists <[log in to unmask]>
08/24/2006 10:27 AM
Please respond to
Leon Miller <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Archival fasteners

"...stainless steel staples are fine."

Just a reminder that what qualifies as stainless steel can depend on where
you live. In New Orleans, for example, everything rusts, and even
so-called
"stainless steel" paper clips or staples will leave rust stains on paper.

Lee

----
Leon C. Miller, Manuscripts Librarian
Special Collections, Jones Hall
Tulane University Libraries
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118
ph: 504-865-5685, fx: 504-865-5761, [log in to unmask]
http://specialcollections.tulane.edu

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES