Muriel,

What we do with corporate records like these (and I have them for lumber
companies,

etc.) is to carefully describe each ledger or item, especially
commenting on the information

they contain.   Frankly I get very few researchers that ever look at
these records unless we

can make them explainable for others.     For example, if a record
contains not only the

name of the individual but their address, age, how long they've lived
there, etc.    Some

records, while important to show the transaction of business (posting
ledgers for example)

provide poor information about a person or business.

What I'm trying to say is that records either tell you the history of a
person or organization

or business, but if they don't, they may be quick candidates for
disposal.   You really have to

stop and analyze what information is available and whether it is worth
preserving.

To give you an idea, I've been given thousands of cancelled checks of a
defunct lumber

company.    Traditionally we don't save these; several individuals
thought we should make

an alphabetical index of all the payees (clearly they are payroll
checks) however except for

the date, amount of money, name of payee, and lumber company logo,
there's nothing on

these checks - no indication of hours worked, occupation of the payee,
etc.   I believe they

are probably payroll checks but they cover from the 1940s to the 1970s,
periods covered

by the phone books, city directories, etc.     For me their future use
and usefulness is quite

low, they are good candidates for disposal despite some pleas alleging
their "genealogical"

importance.    I shall keep some of them for displays.

There is also the question of completeness.  Looking at your list, I
don't see any annual

reports, reports to the comptroller of the currency, or paper files.   I
assume that the index

to loans corresponds to a loan number and there would have been backup
files for those

such as copies of mortgages, liens, background/credit checks, and the
like.

I pose these questions to help you think about the balance between the
bank records as

artifacts and as usable research resources.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213