I read with dismay the decision to close the PHS at Montreat.    While I understand

the moving of the collections to both Philadelphia and to Decatur, GA, I checked the

Columbia Theological Seminary site.    The Special Collections there apparently has

no regular hours, appointment only.   In addition, a careful reading of the library policies

never mentions that anyone may use the library.   I think that in cases where important

historical research collections are moved, it would be prudent for SAA to ascertain that

organizations and libraries are not making access more restrictive than before such changes.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213