I heartily second Maarja's views on Bill Leonard's letter.  The Post's "gotcha" article was uncalled for: gratuitous, mean-spirited, not to mention totally irrelevant to the very great service he has performed for scholars and citizens everywhere.

I can only hope that Mr. Aid sleeps well at night now, knowing the closet is bare, while the Washington Post just has, by publishing such "non-journalism," continues to fill its own closet to the brim with the kinds of stories that threaten to destroy Ben Bradlee's once-great paper. As for the woman who "tipped" them off, she should be mortally ashamed of her grade-school "nanny-nanny-foo-foo" behavior.  Perhaps the Post should start digging into HER background; I'm sure they can find something - a long-overdue book perhaps? The wrong fork used at a dinner party? Tsk-tsk! Stop the presses.

Margaret Shannon
Senior Research Historian
Washington Historical Research
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.