Our library received a donation of microfilm and microfilm cabinets. The
cabinets look like new from the outside, but have begun to rust along
the edges on the inside.  Does anyone have any advice as to how to
handle this situation?  I'm hoping that there is some type of spray
product that would cover and prevent future rust, but have never dealt
with this situation before.  If we were to temporarily place the film in
these cabinets, will it damage the microfilm?  The film had been sitting
in these cabinets for a while before (a year or two) before we received
them.

I have seen some products on the Internet for containing and preventing
rust, but I'm not sure if they are okay to use with microfilm.

We are also dealing with rust on the outside of the microfilm cases.
The film is in plastic cases and appears fine after they are washed off.
If anyone has any advice as to whether we can keep these cases I'd
appreciate it.

Thank You,

Rhonda Konig

Reference/Local History Librarian