Greetings, all,

Some years ago (in 1988), NUCMC staff (National Union Catalog of Manuscript
Collections) converted descriptions we had submitted for the printed NUCMC
catalog to MARC format and loaded them into their database (without our
knowledge, but we were happy to have the MARC records available). These were
then loaded into OCLC WorldCat, and we have been enhancing (locking and
replacing) the records as needed ever since (the records do describe our
unique archival collections, which change with time). We've never
experienced any problems with this until recently, when the enhancements
we'd made over the years were all overlaid with the original records from
1988. So all of the enhancements we've made, including recataloging of many
collections, making records DACS compliant, etc., have been lost. Has anyone
else experienced this? Have any records created in connection with NUCMC
that you have later enhanced in OCLC been overwritten with old records in
WorldCat?

I'd very much appreciate hearing from you if so.

Many thanks.

Marsha Maguire
Manuscripts and Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Washington Libraries
P.O. Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
(206) 543-8407 fax: (206) 685-8782