Greetings!

I've posted "Technologies & Tools for State Publications Digital Libraries" to the Digital Preservation Network site.

This document is a short summary of the repository and harvesting technologies used by each of the 50 states in our collective ongoing quest to provide for the permanent public access to state publications.

It is based on an environmental scan that I originally conducted in June 2005 when we were trying to determine what others were using. I've updated it with 2006 survey information graciously provided to the community by the surveys done by Theresa Pardo and Brian Burke of the Center for Technology in Government and Stephen Wilhoite at the Nevada State Library and Archives.

You'll also find at this site the papers and presentations given at the 2006 Digital Preservation in State Government Best Practices Exchange and a growing collection of presentations, policies, standards docum! ents, and news.  The network is an outgrowth of the conference held in North Carolina and the site is managed courtesy of the Washington State Digital Archives.

If you haven't yet joined the Digital Preservation Network community of practice, go to http://www.digitalpreservationnetwork.org and click on "Request Access" under the home menu.

The Digital Preservation Network is dedicated to forging a community of practitioners who are focused on the issues of preserving the digital records and publications of government. This online forum is a repository for the exchange and discussion of ideas, research, strategy and documents that can be used by other practitioners in their organization.  Membership in this community is open to any practitioner employed in a government funded institution that is currently researching or participating in appraisal, acquisition, preservation or access of government records or publications.

Once you've been sent your access password, you can find my paper under the category: Technical > Solutions!

Take some time to explore what else is there, and load some documents of your own so that we work together to build this network as a useful resource.

Kind regards,

Ray Matthews

Government Information Coordinator
State Documents Librarian
Utah State Library Division
Email: [log in to unmask]
Voice: 801.715.6752

"Let the people know the facts, and the country will be safe."
                                              --- Abraham Lincoln, 1864