From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Sheehan, Elizabeth
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Removing dust from documents & photos: synthesis

Thank you to everyone* who replied regarding my question about using
products such "Swiffer" Dusters for removing surface dust from
documents/items.  There was a definite consensus to the responses I received
and so I wanted to synthesize what I learned and share it with "the list".

Biggest takeaway:  Using Swiffers is not recommended.  Fibrous material,
which many scratch or snag fragile items, and the possibility of chemical
residue, makes this product (and others like it) a bad option.

Recommended tools include:

1. Considered the safest:  Brushes with fine, natural hair for removing
surface dirt.  Recommendations were for softer artist's brushes, not
draftsman type.

2. Cotton material for light dusting.  Soft cotton diapers were the number
one choice, but also included clean cotton sheets and muslin cloth.  One
caveat was to be careful not to smudge any written markings on the document,
while attempting to remove the dust/dirt.

3. Canned air for light dust.

4. Artgum erasers for marks and dirt.

Also, two online resources were provided:

http://www.gaylord.com/images/2005-022%20Pathfinders%20PDF.pdf

http://www.si.edu/mci/downloads/RELACT/paper_documents.pdf

Thanks again!

*Miriam, Ginny, Dean, & Annie.

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of
participation, please refer to

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to [log in to unmask] In
body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To
post a message, send e-mail to [log in to unmask]