Hi, Rachel!

I looked at the webposted Records Management List postings and saw that
you've gotten some interesting responses there.  I especially liked
what the reflective and knowledgeable Ginny Jones posted there this
a.m., her stuff always is worth reading.  Tom and Mark's comments on
that other list were nice, also.

A question:  you refer to an "E-cleansing" initiative.  I've heard or
read of records managers using the term "records clean up."  Bear with
me a minute here, remembering that this is not my field.   In most
organizations, do the creators of the records (electronic or otherwise)
understand that they are not just being urged to delete or to get rid
of stuff?  That this is a balanced process, governed by retention
schedules, blah blah blah?  In other words, that there is not a bias in
the term "clean up" towards pitching stuff?  The records manager can't
stand over each person and watch as s/he deletes stuff.  So,
presumably, there first is a strong education component, before the
clean-up.

I'm assuming that this is not a problem in an organization with a
strong RIM presence.  Presumably a records manager both urges people to
keep what is needed/required for business/legal/historical reasons (for
the time stated on a records schedule) and to dispose of what is not.
Nevertheless, I always cringe when I hear "clean up day."  I guess I
like the more ungainly phrase "keep or delete" better than "clean up
day." LOL.

Maarja