Call for Session Proposals
2007 Upstate History Alliance/Museum Association of New York
Annual Conference

April 15-17, 2007
Syracuse, NY

Long Tails, Tipping Points and Cultural Literacy: Museums, Trends and
Communities

Long Tails, Tipping Points and Cultural Literacy explore global trends that
offer museums and heritage organizations new lenses through which we can
think about the work we do.  At an ever-increasing pace, in every aspect of
our work, external trends define the directions of institutional mission and
impact its success.  Decisions about why and what to collect, audiences to
target, and exhibitions and programs to develop turn on a host of factors -
demographics and social inclusion, economic tourism, and raising test scores
to name a few.

This year, we seek session proposals exploring  the impact of present and
future trends on the museum environment.  How do the trends you see and
experience - both broader public trends and trends in the museum profession
- shape your institution's mission and its relationships to its community?
How does your institution gather, assess and use trends to its advantage?
What is working for you?  What isn't?

Sessions can be practical or theoretical in nature. While we welcome
standard presentation/panel format session proposals, we are looking for a
broad range of creative formats such as roundtable discussions, debates,
critiques and hands-on activities.  We encourage you to present different or
opposing approaches/solutions to an issue or trend in the same session. In
developing a session with multiple presenters, we strongly urge you to
partner with representatives from various museum disciplines.

Submitting a Proposal

The deadline for session proposals is December 1, 2006. Proposals must be
submitted electronically to [log in to unmask] Please visit
www.upstatehistory.org to download the session proposal form. The UHA/MANY
program committee will review proposals and decisions will be made by
mid-January 2006. We also welcome general comments or suggestions for
topics you would like to see covered at the conference.

Questions

If you have any questions or are looking for assistance with developing a
proposal, contact UHA program coordinator Jenny Rosenzweig at 800.895.1648,
[log in to unmask] or MANY director Anne Ackerson at 518.273.3400,

About the UHA/MANY Annual Conference

The UHA/MANY Annual Conference is the largest gathering of museum
professionals in the state. Each year it brings together a diverse array of
individuals from all types and sizes of museums, historical societies, and
similar cultural organizations. This yearıs conference will be held in
Syracuse, where art, history, and science museums bring vitality and a sense
of history to this historic Central New York city.  Museums in the Syracuse
area include the Erie Canal Museum, the Everson Museum of Art, The MOST
(Museum of Science and Technology), the Onondaga Historical Association, the
Joe and Emily Lowe Gallery at Syracuse University and the Matilda Joslyn
Gage House.