Electronic paper (clearly a different product, but with obvious ties to
transient documents) has been an object of Xerox research for more than 10
years, but has never, to my knowledge, reached the marketing stage.  It's
been foreshadowed in any number of science-fiction books, including at least
one by William Gibson.  Presumably electronic documents could be even more
transient.

I'm certain there are many cases where digital reprints exist with no
original, and this will increase as digitizing projects
proliferate--including ours.  The main reason for this will not be because
originals are discarded or fade by design, but because originals
disintegrate or fade due to chemical or mechanical processes including
everything from internal chemistry (thermofaxes) and normal handling and
storage practices (carbon copies) to disasters such as fire and flood.  In
many cases we have only photocopies or chemically created copies but no
original as it is.  How is that different from digital reprints, in an age
where documents can be altered digitally and then printed?

This would be my argument for trusted digital repositories.

Arel

Arel Lucas, C.A.
Archives/Special Collections Librarian
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University