About six years after the Prohibition Party was founded and one year
after the WCTU was founded, Dioclesian Lewis wrote "Prohibition a
Failure", 1875. You can read it at Google Books.

http://books.google.com/books?
id=VDpJAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=prohibition+a+failure

This book is ironic because Dioclesian (or Dio for short) was the
temperance speaker (and phys-ed promoter) who stimulated the women in
Hillsboro, Ohio, on Dec 23, 1873, to start what became the Woman's
Crusade and WCTU.

The book has no table of contents or index, but it's chock full of
examples, anecdotes, and analysis on what was going on at the time
around the issue of your concern.

Dave Trippel
Evanston, IL
(pure coincidence that I'm a mile away from the WCTU)