To Dan Malleck,

    I would be glad to give a paper dealing with bootlegging in the 1920s.  I have been studying the actual economics of bootlegging and also on a comparison of the relationship between politics and bootlegging.

    With regard to the economics of bootlegging: through a bureaucratic error by the IRS, I was given complete access  to the raw investigative files of the IRS in the investigation of Al Capone's income tax.  From those files, I can present a paper demonstrating that Capone was NOT the BOSS of a bootlegging enterprise in Chicago.  But the focus of the paper would be to show what his real relationship was to bootlegging and to explain how bootlegging in other cities also did not have bosses.

    A second paper would compare the economic structure and politics of bootlegging in Chicago, Milwaukee, and one other city.

                                       Mark H. Haller, Professor of History & Criminal Justice
                                        History Department, Temple University
                                        Philadelphia, PA
Dan Malleck wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Dear colleagues
My apologies for the lack of clarity in the previous posting.

The ADHS already has three sessions set for next year's AHA session, and the focus of these is alcohol related studies. We would like to expand them to include studies on drugs.

We have a session on alcohol, public spaces and writers, to which we would like to add a paper that looks at drugs, public spaces and writers, if possible.

We are looking for an additional session that has drugs or mix of drug and alcohol studies as its focus.  As you can see the session is very open.  We would like to have suggestions either of a full session, or of papers that we could put into a session.

Given the response we have had, it is a good illustration of the need to open up the call for papers for future AHAs.  I am not certain if this process can happen at this point.

For further information, please contact Scott Haine at
[log in to unmask].  He coordinates the sessions for the AHA.

Dan Malleck, PhD
Assistant Professor, Community Health Sciences
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2S 3A1
905 688-5550 ext 5108

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and immediately delete this message and its contents, and then find someone to blame. Thank you.